Yucca gloriosa ‘Variegata’

Just when you think that the summer has ended . . . . . my Yucca has decided to start flowering.

I’ve had this Yucca for some years having bought it as a small plant (it might have been a gift?). I’ve not taken too much notice of it until the last year or so when its presence makes itself felt, usually on my backside, when unknowingly reversing into its sharp pointed leaves! It has now become quite an attractive and large plant. I’ve even begun to give it a bit of water in dry spells – previously I’ve ignored it. I’m pretty sure that it is gloriosa ‘Variegata’ but I may be wrong.

I was very surprised when a couple of days ago I noticed it had started to send up a flower spike. I’m not sure how any early frost or bad weather will effect the flowering or, come to that, the whole plant. I suppose I’m thinking that a Yucca in the process of flowering is less likely to survive frost etc.

The more I think about it . . . the more likely it is that I acquired the plant as a present from someone. I’ve never really liked Yuccas and can’t imagine that I would have bought one. I’m not sure why I don’t like them? Perhaps it is something to do with the name?

Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata' - starting to flower

Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata' - starting to flower

No comments:

Post a Comment