Teucrium fruticans

I’m very pleased that my Teucrium fruticans has found a new lease of life. It had seemed almost dead a few months ago and I cut it hard back. But now it is storming back and flowering.

Teucrium fruticans

Above: Flowers of Teucrium fruticans taken today (30 Oct 2010)

Teucrium fruticans common name is the Shrubby Germander or Tree Germander. It is an evergreen small shrub of the Mediterranean area with aromatic grey-green leaves that are silver-white underneath. It’s small blue flowers are said to appear in summer, however, my plant will flower at any time of year.

I find Teucrium fruticans a rather lax and sometimes untidy looking shrub but this may be because it faces a lot of competition from surrounding plants and it really prefers full sun. The less than perfect situation may explain why it flowers at all sorts of times through the year. I particularly welcome its flowers in January, sometimes amongst the snow.

Teucrium fruticans

Above: The haze of blue flowers in January 2007

I’m not sure, but my Teucrium fruticans may be the variety ‘Azureum’. I must get better at keeping the names and varieties of my plants!

Teucrium fruticans

Above: Close-up of flowers, January 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment