Salvia x jamensis ‘La Luna’

Today is cold and windy with the feeling of winter coming. However, the shrubby Salvias are full of flower still. I think I’ve mentioned several times in this blog Salvia microphylla 'Cerro Potosi', I also grow several other shrubby types including Salvia x jamensis ‘La Luna’.

Salvia x jamensis ‘La Luna’

Salvia x jamensis ‘La Luna’ is a hybrid between S. greggii and S. microphylla with pale yellow almost cream flowers. It grows to about 2ft or so and flowers throughout the summer. Although it is said to be only able to withstand light frosts, it has survived the recent cold winters without any problems. I grow it under an olive tree but I have to say it is not the most outstanding plant. The whole shrub has a lax habit and you can only really appreciate the flowers if you get down on your hands and knees. But – I think I like it? Certainly it is good to see it flowering so well at this time of year.

Salvia x jamensis 'La Luna'

Above: The lax growth of ‘La Luna’;  Below: flowers

Salvia x jamensis 'La Luna'

1 comment: