Dark Evenings

The clocks haven't gone back yet but already it is dark by the time I get home from work. Almost too dark to wander around the garden, too dark certainly to potter. This weekend and the clocks changing will mean even after an early work finish, it will be too dark. November is probably the worst gardening month, although I enjoy bonfire night and an excuse to burn some of the woody stuff and broken fence panels. December has the build-up to Christmas and it should be dark and it should be cold. Often we travel to my sister’s in France for Christmas and New Year and that is something to look forward to and to plan for. This year we will be at home and I’m thinking of garden lights both electric and candle powered. By Christmas the evenings are just beginning to get gradually lighter and I count the days to the 7th of February. Why the 7th Feb? Because that is the date that sunset has got around to 5:00pm and heralds the possibility of leaving work in daylight!

January should be cold and dark like December and it should have snow and it should have ice and I should not put my hands in my pockets when walking to the pub! I walk to the pub down a dark path next to a stream. In winter the path can be very icy and not much used. I have to remind myself  to keep my hands free of my pockets as I reason that should I slip on the ice I would not be able to use my hands to break my fall and if injured I could lie on that path a long time before anyone would be likely to find me. 

But February brings lighter evenings and the promise of Spring!

Just got bloody November to get through! We  will survive on red wine and lots of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment