Solanum jasminoides Variegata

Now we are getting into October a lot of plants are beginning to show thier age and there is not a lot of flowers in my garden. This is probably down to the type of plants I grow. But one plant that is still flowering well is Solanum jasminoides ‘Variegata’:

Solanum jasminoides ‘Variegata’

Solanum jasminoides ‘Variegata’ also known as the Potato Vine is a semi-evergreen climber with white jasmin-like flowers throughout the summer and into autumn. It has yellow variegation on the edges of its green leaves and climbs by wrapping its leaf stems around any available support.

Solanum jasminoides ‘Variegata’

Solanum jasminoides ‘Variegata’

Now, I don’t seem to do well with climbers. My clematis look sad, my roses either refuse to climb or think they must reach the summit of Everest. I have a constant battle with mildew on my Golden Hop. But Solanum jasminoides ‘Variegata’ is easy! Despite various books describing it as half-hardy and requiring full sunshine, I’ve grown it now for the past 10 years in various situations in the garden, including shade, and it is as tough as old boots! It is quite easy to manage and puts up with being hacked about when it gets a bit too rampant.

Solanum jasminoides ‘Variegata’

Although you would not describe its flowering habits as ‘profuse’, it does keep going all summer and is particularly good right now. The flowers are followed by very pretty metallic small fruits – I’m certain they are poisonous.

Solanum jasminoides 'Variegata'

If I can grow this climber – then anyone can!!

3 comments: