The Small Temporary Plastic Greenhouse

With the first reports of possible frost on the way, I’m having to contemplate the task of erecting my small, temporary, plastic greenhouse.

I’ve never really wanted a permanent greenhouse although I’ve probably got the space for one. I’d only use a greenhouse to overwinter stuff and raise seeds etc. in the Spring. For most of the summer it would not be needed and unless one can afford to buy one of those wood-built traditional jobs, they are ugly-looking things. But – I need something to over-winter some of my tropical / exotic plants and some years ago I found that ‘Homebase’ sold a small tubular-steel framed greenhouse with a plastic cover – and it only cost about £40.00.

I’ve just checked the Homebase site and they still sell them, only now they cost £49.99 – I’ll put the link at the bottom of this post.

Anyway, its about the time of year to think about erecting the thing. It’s not too difficult to do, providing you have not lost any of the sections of tubular-steel over the summer. The greenhouse comes supplied with guy ropes and pegs to hold it down to the ground. My problem is that I put it up on paving stones which means I cannot peg it to the ground and have to rely on the guy-ropes. I site the small temporary plastic greenhouse close to the house and next to a fence. This gives it a bit more warmth but more importantly allows me to tie it to the walls and fence. The construction is very light and it is very prone to getting blown away which is why securing it is so important. The original plastic cover it came with was not too strong but luckily you can buy replacement covers for about £10.00. The replacement covers and the ones now supplied with the greenhouse are now much stronger though do not let so much light through.

My Plastic Greenhouse - Garden November 2007

Above: My small, temporary, plastic greenhouse

I use the small, temporary, plastic greenhouse to overwinter Ensetes (bananas), Colocasias, Brugmansias and Aeoniums (amongst other things). Some of these plants I dig up from the garden and put in large pots. Most of these plants will not need the greenhouse until after the first frosts but the Aeoniums will need protection before the frosts come which is why I’m now thinking that I must put the thing up soon. The major problem with the plastic greenhouse is that it has no ventilation apart from leaving the entrance flap open. The lack of ventilation means condensation and the risk of various rots. So, the trick is to not put the plants in until the last possible moment and to get them out again as soon as possible in the Spring, in an attempt to minimise the risk of rotting. I run a small electric fan-heater set as close as I can to above freezing but I guess this is quite an expensive option given that the greenhouse has zero insulation.

The small, temporary, plastic greenhouse may not suit everybody. It is quite flimsy but it suits my purposes.

Here’s the link:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=596578&c_3=3%7Ccat_19685889%7CGreenhouses%7C14418830&c_2=2%7Ccat_16849255%7CGreenhouses+and+accessories%7C19685889&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CGardening%7C16849255

3 comments:

  1. Good idea, does the job. I think i might bring my Brug indoors this year, as for my Bananas which have all sprouted from the one that died last year, as they are not too thick yet i will buy a lenght of drain pipe and pack with strew. Gunneras will get a bucket over them packed with straw. Fleece the palms and what to do with the tree fern this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin
    Drain pipe - that's a good idea. I was planning to wrap my Musas in fleece as I usually do but like last year - it's not a very reliable method. I stuff dry fern fronds in the crown of the Tree Ferns and I've also used a ball of fleece, both methods have worked for me.
    I don't like this weather! In fact, I've just been on the British Airways site looking at flights to warmer places. But that will have to wait until Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up till now i have made a frame from canes, filled with straw and wrapped with fleece and put something water proof over the top, but they always end up soaking wet when i uncover in the spring, i will see how the drain pipes far. Looking at the weather i dont think it will be long

    ReplyDelete