After The Frost

The night before last was a very cold night for this time of year and I think there was a slight frost last night as well. The frost has killed the leaves of many of the Colocasias:

After The Frost - Colocasias

Above: frost damaged Colocasias

Below: the frost also caught the Bananas – both the Musas and the Ensetes

After The Frost - Bananas

Below: Musa sikkimensis leaves look quite sad

After The Frost - Musa Sikkimensis (Banana)

But all is not lost! The Colocasia will survive and I will eventually get round to saving some of them in the temporary plastic greenhouse. Some of the Ensetes I will also put in the greenhouse but I need to dig these up and that is an easier job once their leaves have died back. The Musas will stay in the ground and I will eventually wrap fleece around their stems – this doesn't always work!! The Tree Ferns are OK and will be fine for the next few weeks and then I will cover their crowns with dry fern leaves and / or fleece.

I’m planning on posting some more specific ideas for overwintering Bananas, Tree Ferns etc. I will include the comments already made to this blog by Kevin and Jon but it would be really good to have more ideas / advice please.

As I said, all is not lost – this morning the tall grass Miscanthus sinensis ‘Malepartus’ looked really good in the early sunshine with a Tree Fern behind it:

After The Frost - Miscanthus sinensis 'Malepartus' Flowers

. . . . and even some of the Colocasias and Ricinus still looked good:

After The Frost - Colocasia Fontanesii (amongst other stuff)

Above: Amongst other stuff are the shiny leaves (with some frost damage) of Colocasia Fontanesii

No comments:

Post a Comment