Athyrium otophorum 'Okanum'


Athyrium otophorum 'Okanum'
Originally uploaded by emagen

This fern has the wonderful common name: 'Eared Lady Fern'. I wonder how often the adjective 'eared' is ever used? I don't think I have have ever heard anyone describe anything as 'eared'. Certainly I can imagine that a lady without ears would be called 'ear less' but to describe someone (or a lady) as being 'eared' would seem too obvious an attribute as not to require remark or description. I guess owls might be described as 'eared'? Oh well!

Anyway, I've posted this picture of Athyrium otophurum 'Okanum' (taken yesterday) not because of its ears but because it is just such a beautiful fern. It is a native of Japan and is perfectly hardy in the UK, growing to about 18 inches, its colours are striking and has delicate fronds. It is a deciduous fern and looks particularly good at this time of year.

By the way - had a really good birthday dinner last night with my wife (eared) and eared daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment