Ferns and Hostas, Garden May 09


Ferns and Hostas, Garden May 09
Originally uploaded by emagen

I took a photo early this morning while the sun was low of a group of ferns and hostas. I always think ferns and hostas go so well together.
The fern in the foreground is Polystichum polyblepharum and the one in the background is Dryopteris buschiana, both are just completing unfurling their fronds. I'm afraid I don't know the names of the Hosta varieties.
I always remove the old fronds of these ferns before the new growth emerges. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do but it allows one to see the new fronds unfurling and keeps the plant neater and fresher looking. Anyway, the ferns don't seem to have suffered from this practice.
At the moment, this is the most interesting part of the garden. Other parts of the garden will require a few more weeks to come into their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment