Backdoor

The wind has dropped to nothing, it’s very overcast but not cold. I wandered around the garden this evening with camera looking for inspiration for this blog. I took some photos of hostas, of bamboo and some more ‘general’ shots. The low light made the photos look a bit gloomy and not very sharp so I gave up and retired inside for dinner and wine.

Sitting at the dinner table, I gazed out upon Salvia ‘Cerro Potosi’, an Aeonium (or two) and hops (Humulus lupulus ‘Aurea’) clambering up the trellis outside the window / door. I think it’s the yellow/green leaves of the hop and magenta flowers of the Salvia that made the scene look a whole lot brighter than the gloom of the rest of the garden. The almost black rosettes of Aeonium ‘Zwartkop'’ added contrast.

Outside backdoor

So I took a photo! I should be sitting in that chair enjoying a warm summer evening – maybe soon!

As I’ve said before Salvia ‘Cerro Potosi” is a fantastic plant, flowering from Spring to Autumn and happy in virtually every situation and completely hardy. I like to plant it where one is forced to brush against it, releasing the scent of blackcurrants from its leaves. I have to control the hop otherwise it would smother the Salvia and the Aeonium.

By the way – How many spellings of ‘Zwartkop' (as in Aeonium) are there? I’m currently using this spelling but it doesn’t feel right.

No comments:

Post a Comment