Ensete ventricosum

Update on young plants . . . . .

Back in March (the 4th to be precise) I posted a description and photo of 2 young Ensete ventricosum or Abyssinian banana plants that I had purchased from the ‘Lost World Nursery’ via eBay. As can be seen in the photo below, they are both growing strongly now. I’ve inset the original photo taken back in early March.

2009_03_04

The plants are still spending most of the time indoors but as soon as the weather improves, they will go outside permanently and the be planted in the ground.

They are the ordinary green variety of Ensete and in many ways I prefer them to the red-leafed variety, they are stronger growers and easier to overwinter. This year they will make quite sizeable plants but I will dig them up in November and keep them somewhere frost-free over winter. Next year they will be enormous!

Technorati Tags:

1 comment: