A walk in the woods, Bluebells


A walk in the woods, Bluebells
Originally uploaded by emagen

Having driven through these woods over the past couple of weeks and thinking that I really should take my camera and get a picture of the Bluebells, I've actually done it!
I have a small corner of my garden where Bluebells grow, mainly because it is a difficult area and I've yet to plant more exciting plants. I don't mean that Bluebells are not beautiful, certainly their flowers are. But in a small urban garden I need plants that have a longer season and don't leave masses of decaying foliage through the summer. OK, I'm not a great 'bulb person' and that's because, with work, I only really get to enjoy the garden during the summer.
I think Bluebells are best seen in wooded areas such as Kings Wood where they completely carpet the ground under the (mainly) coppice woodland.
I wonder at the vast amount of stored energy that must lay just a few inches below the surface.
By the way - walking must be one of the most natural things for humans to achieve. Why then did I pass several people walking with what looked like ski poles? Am I missing something? Or perhaps they are simply wearing the wrong shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment