Tree ferns - Dicksonia antarctica

The photo above shows 2 tree ferns, Dicksonia antarctica, taken last summer. Today the fronds are frost burnt and dead but I'm hoping - no, I'm confident that they have survived and will make new fronds.

I think tree ferns make some of the best architectural features of the garden and do particularly well in shaded areas. They require little maintenance other than frequent watering into the top of the trunk in dry weather. Actually, the watering is quite a chore as on the tallest fern, it requires holding a watering can above your head and letting a slow trickle of water be absorbed into the trunk. A good daily spray of the trunk using a hosepipe is easier and I believe some people use automatic watering gadgets.

The tree ferns make an impressive sight through most of the year. Even now the dead fronds are quite attractive.

I have 2 tree ferns, one has a trunk about 1 metre (3 ft) above ground and the other 2 metres (6.5ft) above ground. Both play their part in the garden but my advice is to buy the length of trunk you want and try not to worry about the cost! My largest tree fern was given to me as a birthday present (by my wife) and probably cost about £150. It was delivered as an 8ft long trunk of about 12 inches diameter and it looked dead. However, once stuck in the ground (no easy task) and watered new fronds started to appear within 2 weeks and after a month had a 'full head' of fronds. Sounds expensive but what other plant gives that immediate impact for the money!! So, if you want a tall tree fern - go for it! It's a good time of year to order one for planting in the next couple of months in the UK.


By the way, there was a frost early this morning but it has been a lovely sunny day and is, I think, getting warmer. The frogs, ducks and other birds have been very active doing Spring-like things. And . . . It's Friday!!!

16 comments:

  1. Hello, I came across this page on a Google search - I was wondering when tree ferns start to show their fronds?

    Anyway, your boarder looks stunning in the photo - a real inspiration!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline

    If you reach down into the hollow at the top of the trunk, you should feel the tops of the furled fronds. They should start to unravel in the next couple of weeks. I think Dicksonia antarctica is hardier than given credit for. My latest addition (2 years ago) was shipped from the docks in June looking like a a completely dead trunk but was making new fronds (and meeting people) within 3 weeks.
    Never say die!
    Thanks for your kind comments.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am quite worried about my tree fern as when all the fronds had died off after the winter (lots of snow)we cut off the dead fronds. However so far no new fronds have appeared. I really hope new ones come through as it is a huge fern - we have treated it with a seaweed mix but any ideas as to when it may start to have fronds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam
    Sorry for the delay in responding but I'm only just back from a week in France.
    I hope your Tree Fern survives. Both my tree fern's fronds died in the cold winter, in recent winters the fronds have stayed green. I do nothing to protect them through the winter except to lay some of the dead fronds across the crown. I'm happy to say that both seem to have survived. I only know this by reaching down into the funnel at the top of the trunks where I can feel the embyonic fronds furled like hairy knuckles ready to spring forth. Usually the fronds start to appear (in my garden) in late April.
    I bet your Tree Fern has survived. Please let me know. Thanks for your post.
    Regards
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there,
    I'm not sure if my firn is a tree firn but, I would like to know if you should cut off all the dead fronds, my husband thinks I should leave them! I have cut some off! Could you please help!!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I remove the dead fronds leaving about 6 inches of stem on each one. Usually I do this in late Spring when the new growth comes through. This year the frost killed off the fronds quite early in the winter and the dead fronds became broken and battered by the wind, so I removed them. I'm no expert but if the fronds are really dead then I think removing them can do no harm.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks for writing
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its now 25th May still no sign of any fronds, i have felt in the crown and think i can feel the lumps but dont know if its wishful thinking, can they be so late to show signs of life?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a Tree Fern (Dicksonia Antartica) question which is perhaps slightly different. I bought mine quite a few years ago now, probably at the beginning of them being the "must have" plant. I well remember many well known UK TV gardening presenters at the time stating that Tree Ferns didn’t really require any soil conditions as they get their nutrients through the crown and don’t have any basal roots. One famous presenter went as far as to say that you could even plant them in a bucket of bricks and they would thrive.
    Anyway I purchased my tree fern then about 1 foot tall and planted it in a good compost mix in a 15" diameter pot. The Tree Fern thrived for quite a number of years and it became my pride and joy. However, over the last few years the fronds have reduced in length and quantity. It was then that I became aware that the presenters had been very wrong about the root system as my Tree Fern had become completely pot bound. I made the decision to re-pot and root prune this spring. Before I could take this action the winter of 2010 intervened. I always place the Tree Fern down the sheltered side of our property for the winter months. In previous years placed in this position the plant doesn’t even lose its fronds. This year however was very different. When I came to examine the Tree Fern I found that the fronds were actually desiccated though still for the most part green. I cut off the fronds, all of them and waited for new ones to form. That was in early March. However, nothing is happening, there was no soggy crown has others have reported, the crown in my plant is dry and totally empty, there is no signs of re-growth whatsoever. I removed it from its pot a few weeks ago and found a totally solid clump of roots, no compost remained.

    I root pruned the plant quite aggressively removing around two thirds of the roots and replanted in fresh loam based compost, still no signs of re-growth in the crown.

    My question is – it is now the end of May, is this Tree Fern dead, am I wasting my time waiting for something to happen?

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am hoping my tree fern is just coming through now as I can just feel the knuckles wrapped inside the crown - I think it must be the long cold winter followed by a dry spell when I did not water which has slowed the growth. I have been watering the last 2/3 weeks and have now placed a couple of plastic bags over the crown to try to simulate warm moist conditions in the warmer weather hoping this will works / speeds up the growing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been using this app: SimCity BuildIt Mod Apk and often download and gamble.

    ReplyDelete
  11. replica bags online shopping india replica gucci f9r96s1i13 replica radley bags link e3j04w2c12 replica louis vuitton bags 7a replica bags u2o91z5b51 replica goyard bags redirected here r5c20x6d27 replica bags thailand

    ReplyDelete