Swiss Cheese Plant

IMG_5811

Right of picture: Swiss Cheese Plant, Monstera delicosa

Checking the plants in the temporary plastic greenhouse, I was pleased to see the Monstera delicosa or Swiss Cheese Plant surviving quite happily. It lives outside from April to November but spends its winters in the cool damp plastic greenhouse. It used to live in the house but my wife evicted it after it began to want more space than we were prepared to give it. It’s been in the same pot for 4 or 5 years and I really should re-pot it. But it survives quite cold weather and having most of its stems cut back in the autumn to enable it to fit in the limited space in the greenhouse. It makes a striking plant in the shady corner of the terrace surrounded by climbers and (in this picture) a Colocasia.

I’ve had success with other houseplants evicted from the house including an Aspidistra. Buoyed with this success, in recent years I’ve ventured forth into the DIY stores to buy packs of houseplants. These plants were never intended to be planted outside in this country but most do surprisingly well. I use them to fill gaps particularly in shaded areas because, of course, houseplants have to live in the shade. I can’t remember all their names but in May I will be buying a new batch (they are usually very cheap) and will post details on this blog. I don’t have room to overwinter all these plants but some come through the winter without any protection.

I recommend trying houseplants outside in the summer, they give a truly exotic effect for very little outlay.

Technorati Tags:

1 comment: