Colocasias

Technorati Tags:

Ahhh . . . What can I write? Colocasias are one of my favorite plants. It is a member of the Aroid family and is also known as Taro in the tropics where their rhizomes have traditionally been a staple diet for some. Warning: do not try it yourself, it needs careful preparation to remove the toxins.
The best thing about Colocasias is the sheer size of the leaves which can be 18 inches across. They do well in sun or shade but I think perform best in partial shade. They need plenty of water and feeding to get the biggest leaves. I think they look great amongst ferns and bamboos.
They grow from rhizomes and, as you might expect, usually need protection during UK winters. You are supposed to keep the rhizomes somewhere cool but frost-free over winter. I must admit to having trouble getting these conditions right and lose quite a lot to rotting. I do keep some in pots in a cool greenhouse over winter with mixed results. However, despite all the garden writers saying they will not over-winter in the UK, they have done so in in parts of my garden over the last 5 years. This winter might be different, it's been so cold. As I said, they like a lot of water and a few of the rhizomes have found their way into my pond where they grow happily although not that big due, I suspect, to a shortage of nutrients. Strangely, whilst the cold weather is still with us, there is no sign of any Colocasias yet in the garden. Yet, a rhizome in the pond is throwing up it's first leaf now.
There are a few varieties available but I started with the basic Colocasia esculenta, the rhizomes of which I bought from the Jungle Seeds website. It is quite easy to start off the rhizomes in a pot in a warm place in the spring and then plant into the ground once the risk of frost has passed. I have other varieties including 'Fontanesii' and 'Black Magic'. Some varieties such as Fontanesii' send out runners at the end of which a new rhizome develops. On the basic Colocasia esculenta the plant develops clumps of rhizomes which can be split in Spring.
I have loads of photos of Colocasias uploaded to Flickr, use the link on the right and then search Colocasias within the photostream called 'emagen'.
I think that is enough for now. There is plenty of info on the web from experts which I am not. But if a lazy gardener like me can grow them then anyone can.

No comments:

Post a Comment