SPAWN


I've become rather preoccupied by watching the dozens of frogs active around and in the pond. The first spawn has been laid and I suspect there will be a lot more.
I'm feeling a tad guilty of doing very little today apart from frog watching and a stroll to the town. But my excuse is that I'm tired after a week at work. Also I prefer not to tidy up the garden too much until we are free from the possibility of cold weather. The dead plant stems and general thatch of dead leaves etc provides roots and shoots with some protection against the cold. Excuses!
The 'stroll' to the town is something I enjoy on a Saturday morning particularly when the sun shines as it did this morning. Our town has a market every Saturday (and Tuesdays and Fridays) and there is a really good stall selling plants. Spring must be here judging by the number of people buying spring plants such as violas etc. We bought the ingredients for lunch from the variety of stalls selling pies, cheeses, bread etc. There was a book fair in the town hall and we bought a 1898 copy of 'Flowers of The Field' by Rev C. A. Johns although we already own a later printed copy. Whilst browsing the books, I realised I was standing next to Bob Geldof. (just to name drop!)
I'll try and do some garden work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment