Time to give the lawn its first cut!

I’m gearing up to give the lawn its first cut of the year. Well . . . . After I’ve taken a stroll to the town to buy some choice morsels for lunch and after I’ve watched the Man U v Liverpool game.

The grass hasn’t grown that much but a mow will clear the debris – mainly leaf litter from the bamboos. Also I’ll gather all the fallen Magnolia grandiflora leaves and chuck them on the lawn so that the mower shreds them, otherwise they take years to rot. I’ll do the same with the Miscanthus stems that I’ve cut down this morning.

It is always seems a shame to cut down the old Miscanthus stems and their old seed heads. They have looked good all winter particularly at night when lit by one of the garden spotlights. But it is a job best done now before the new growth comes through.

Miscanthus

 Miscanthus sinensis ‘Malepartus’ taken in February 2009

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment