Thunbergia alata – Black-Eyed Susan

What to put in an urn (apart from ashes)?

A few months ago I was given as a birthday present a repro Greek urn type of concrete planter thing. I do rather like to have a few odd things around the garden and was, therefore, grateful. However, I couldn’t think of what to plant in it. I did think of Ivy but I have a constant battle to control Ivy in the garden as it is and did not like the idea of adding more. Ivy ,though, would have hung over the edges of the tall urn (and disguised it!) in a rather classical way.

Then I thought of the annual climber – Thunbergia alata or Black-Eyed Susan. I already grow this climber through the Hops and like its flowers. The Thunbergia has done well, I’m not sure if I planted a mixture of colours or if this variety naturally has a mixture of orange, yellow and white flowers. Anyway, it looks quite good! The photograph shows the urn and the Black-Eyed Susan tumbling from it. Around the base of the urn are the flowers of Osteospermum ecklonis:

Thunbergia alata - Black-eyed Susan

Incidentally – Osteospermum comes from the Latin Osteo meaning bone and spermum meaning seed – bone seed. The seeds of this plant are said to resemble bones.

On the subject of garden ornaments etc. Here is a photo of my pond gargoyle

Pond Guardian

And below, my Ivy Gargoyle:

Gargoyle

No comments:

Post a Comment