Succulent Last Day Of August

Succulent Last Day Of August 2010

Succulent – What a very nice word! It sounds juicy, thick, fleshy, moist etc. etc. All those things that succulents are. . . .  Succulent!

I don’t think there is a definition for such words – words that sound like they mean – I know they are not onomatopoeias, at least, not in the case of ‘succulent’. Words like ‘pop’, ‘crackle’ and ‘squeak’ are onomatopoeias.

The photograph was taken last week on the last day of August. Included in the shot are:

  • Aloe
  • Sempervivums
  • Agave
  • Echeverias

All these grow quite happily outside all the year round. In winter I put a piece of clear plastic over them to keep them dryish. I collect pebbles, stones, shells and driftwood to scatter amongst them. I even encourage friends to bring me back pebbles from their travels!

Must admit that I spend quite a lot of time studying my succulent plants and stones! Other succulents that I grow outside include Cacti, Kalanchoe, Aeoniums and a wider variety of Echeverias and Sempervivums. I plan to attempt to grow some of the hardier Cacti outside, I’ve been amazed at how hardy Opuntias are and this summer a couple of other Cacti have been evicted from the house but have been growing very well outside and flowering.

S U C C U L E N T

No comments:

Post a Comment