Stems

Strolling through the Musa acres in the late afternoon of yesterday, a scene caught my eye which I will relate to you (I know . . . . Yawn!).

I have a path that is quite a bit lower than the surrounding planting beds. This means that the already tall plants seem even taller. So, I was looking through their stems . . . photo below:

Stems

The stems in question include Banana (Musa sikkimensis), Ginger Lily (Hedychium coccineum 'Tara') and the variegated grass – Arundo donax 'Variegata'. (There is other stuff too)

This year Arundo donax ‘Variegata’ has done quite well. It always disappoints me a bit as it is has nothing like the vigour of the plain green Arundo donax. The ordinary Arundo grows very rapidly making stems of 16ft in one season. I have a couple of clumps of this but I only allow 3 or 4 stems to grow from each clump – that is all you need!

I’ll see if I can capture a decent photo of the plain green Arundo donax for a future post.

By the way . . . Where has the sunshine gone? Where has the Summer gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment