Tree Fern - June 2010

I know a lot of people have lost their tree ferns due to the harsh winter and I really don’t want to seem to be crowing or disrespectful. But, my tree ferns survived and survived better than the winter before last. The photograph below is of my small tree fern taken on Saturday (5th June), it even has a few of last year’s fronds still looking green.

It is over-shadowed by a large bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra) which being evergreen perhaps gives the tree fern some protection from the frost. Of course, my tree ferns live in Southeast England (as do I) where perhaps it is warmer. We also live close to the sea so do not get the really low night-time temperatures although a north-easterly or easterly wind straight off the sea is enough to freeze a stoat (stoat?).

Here’s the picture:

Tree Fern - Garden June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment