Idiot Wind

I am tired of the cold easterly and northeasterly winds that have afflicted this part of the coast for what seems like most of the year so far (the post title is a reference to a Bob Dylan track). True there have been some good days but they seem to be not too many. Stuff like Hostas, Ligularias and many garden perennials are growing well. But Bananas, Colocasias and the other more tropical plants really need some warmer weather and importantly some warmer night-time temperatures. In fact, I need warmer weather! I'm now longing for the Musa family holiday to Adrasan, for warm days and warm nights sitting outside drinking cold beer.
A trip to a local nursery brought some success on Sunday, I managed to buy some Ricinus communis plants and a couple of bananas - Musa 'Zebrina'. I've not tried 'Zebrina' before and am interested to see how they grow, they were only £3.50 each so I can't go far wrong.
 I must get some houseplants from Homebase or B&Q, I have a shady low wall bed where I use them as bedding plants for the summer. I think I've said in a previous post that houseplants make interesting and unusual bedding plants for anywhere in the shade and they are quite cheap.
Tonight the wind is blowing hard from the northeast and it feels freezing outside. There is nothing for it but to go to the pub for a couple of snifters and forget about this crap weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment