Musings

It’s been back to work today after over a week off. The weather has been quite good but with a cool breeze and only hazy sunshine. So, on my return home I went to look at how things are doing in the Musa acres. Truth to tell, there is nothing very astounding!

The thousands of tadpoles in the pond seem to be doing a very good job of clearing algae from all the rocks and and stones. I’m not sure if this is a good thing and wonder if it will upset the balance of the pond life. The herd of minnows are very hungry and I have to crush the pond-stick fish food into minnow bite-size pieces. My last remaining goldfish, Wattle (he used to have a friend called Daub) has been skulking under some vegetation, hardly moving and not eating. I’m quite worried about him, he is quite old (and very big). But when I give him a prod, he dashes off on a tour of the pond and looks and swims quite healthily.

On Sunday I took down and packed away for the summer the temporary plastic greenhouse. All the former inmates are now placed close to the house wall in their pots. Their numbers include a couple of Brugmansias both with large flower buds. I just have to hope that there will be no more frosts.

On my recent trip to the Dordogne Region of France, I noticed that this Spring seems to be the year of the Dandelion – they were everywhere, some fields looking almost completely yellow. I’m sure that there has been an abnormally large number this year. I’ll put-up  a photo of what I mean in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment