Garden Archaeology


Garden Archaeology
Originally uploaded by emagen

Whilst widening a border and digging-up some of the lawn, I came across an unusual object. I carefully scraped away the soil using my trowel and gently lifted the object. I was able to identify the object as a toy car! As the toy car was under the lawn, I can positively estimate its age to be at least 10years old! This being the time we have lived in this house and the lawn has been there since we arrived. I'm unable to identify the exact model and age and am considering seeking expert advice as to its age and value.
Whilst digging the same border, I was fortunate in uncovering another piece of garden archaeology. I found a very ancient pair of secateurs! This find did not come from under the grassed area so I don't have any evidence of age. But I can identify them as secateurs once sold by a chain of shops called Woolworths (long since defunct).
My theory is that years ago some idiot threw the secateurs onto a compost heap along with a pile of prunings. Later the compost, along with the secateurs, was dug-out and spread on the border only to be discovered years later by me (the idiot)!
I wonder if any other gardeners have found similar 'interesting' things?

No comments:

Post a Comment