Athyrium 'Ghost'


Athyrium 'Ghost'
Originally uploaded by emagen

Just hoping this fern - Athyrium 'Ghost' - comes back this year. The photograph was taken in late April last year. So, far there is no sign of it but there should be no reason why it shouldn't come back (unless I've accidentally dug it up).

Obviously it's a deciduous fern and looks quite delicate hence my concern. It has upright silvery-green fronds growing to about 30" tall. It is a hybrid fern whose parentage is Athyrium niponicum var. pictum and Athyrium filix-femina. OK - I admit - I've just looked-up this fact in a book.

I grow this fern in semi-shade at the feet of a black bamboo, Phylostachys nigra and partly under a small Tree Fern. Hostas, Heucheras, Colocasias and a Geranium share a bed with it. I think this fern shows up very well next to the black of the bamboo and the fresh green rounded leaves of the Hosta.

Definately a favourite fern!

2 comments:

  1. I see you're in the uk and have a hankering for Musa. Try Heliconias. I live in Bermuda and they are some of my favorite plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Prospero
    I've often thought of trying Heliconias but have been put off by their need for warmth through winter. I only have a small plastic covered greenhouse which I put up each winter close to the house and can keep it just frost free.
    Everything I've read suggests that I would not get them through our cold winter. But I think I'll give them a try, I hear Heliconia latispatha is supposed to be the hardiest. Thanks for your advice.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete