Colocasia


Under Colocasias 2
Originally uploaded by emagen

Another survivor of the cold winter!
Although I have over-wintered some Colocasias in pots in my temporary plastic greenhouse, I'm pleased to note that there are signs of new shoots from those plants that were left 'in the ground'.
I know one is supposed to overwinter Colocasias by keeping their tubers in a cool dark place much like you are supposed to over-winter dahlia tubers. But I never have much success finding it difficult to get the correct environment I either end up with a rotten, mushy mess or dried, shrivelled dead tubers.
The over-wintered pots are now standing outside and doing quite well but I really welcome those plants that have survived alone and outside.
Whereas I used to have about 4 or 5 different varieties of Colocasia, I think I now am left with only the basic Colocasia esculenta. I may try and find some other varieties, probably on-line, to add some variation in the theme.
The photograph shows Colocasias last summer that had over-wintered unprotected. I tried a bit of an 'arty' shot from underneath the leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment