Christmas Nearly Over

I think its been a good Christmas! The Musa family have had 3 days of entertaining (and probably drinking far too much!) and today are relaxing and recovering before going back to work tomorrow. IMG_0638v2

The picture on the left is a rare photograph of me, taken yesterday whilst I was out surveying the acres. And yes! I can now get out in the garden because we have had the new back door / window fitted!

Today, the ice on the pond has started to thaw and I’m pleased to see that Wattle, my goldfish, looks well, as does the herd of minnows.

For Christmas I got a new weather station as my current one is beginning to lose its LED display. I also got a new Manfrotto tripod for my camera and it really looks professional (unlike my photos).

I employed a theme of environmental conscience and recycling for my presents to Mrs Musa. They included a necklace made from electrical resistors, a necklace made from recycled magazines, earrings cut from the backs of old tea-spoons and a bracelet made from a dinning fork. These may seem strange but, in fact, look fabulous. I could tell that Mrs Musa was impressed!

 

IMG_0627

The cold weather has meant that we have been able to keep bottles chilled by putting them outside. This relieves the pressure on our over-stocked fridge. The photo on the right shows a bottle of bubbly being kept chilled on an outside table. I added some snow around its base to ensure coolness. (I also added a glass for effect!)

It is too early to know what damage the exceptionally low temperatures have caused to plants in the garden. I’m keeping positive though.

 

 

 

 

 

Finally . . . . Happy New Year to all the mad people who read this blog!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rob
    Interested in these weather stations, what make do you have?, i was also looking for something wireless which would connect to my wireless router and i could connect via my laptop, but the word wireless when used with weather stations seem to refer to radio wirless to set the time.
    What do you think to this type
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SmartWeather-Wireless-Weather-Station-outdoor-sensor-/360332169044?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item53e5788f54

    Cheers
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  2. quite like this one

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/W-2001-4-DAY-WIRELESS-WEATHER-STATION-/190485636281?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item2c59d424b9

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kevin

    My old weather station was much like the first one in the links above. It is made by Oregon Scientific and has very similar feaures and does not connect to a PC. It has served me well for 10 years or more, I think I've looked at it every day of the year.
    My new weather station is made by Acctim and has, in addition to remote wireless temperature gauge, a wireless wind speed thingy and a wireless rain gauge. Of course, since I've assembled the thing, there has been no wind or rain so I can't tell how well these features work. I'm also a bit dubious of the new one's accuracy of temperature. It does have, however, a link to an atomic clock so the time is super accurate.
    My advice is (and don't tell my wife) stick to a fairly basic model. I've found that a glance at the outside temperature is always useful and interesting - I don't think I need much else or want to switch the computer on to get it.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob
    Thanks for the advice, i love all the gadgety bits, but this one does not gwt good reviews.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001DUZV78/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

    Not sure what to look at now, qill continue to look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must admit, it would not have been my first choice. It is not as well-built and robust as my old, simpler gadget. I don't think I need to know the rainfall but the wind speed device seems quite fun. Mind you - Bob Dylan says: "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" (Subterranean Homesick Blues)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i will have a look around
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete