New Year

 

Happy New Year Everybody!

The temperature outside is 11 degrees and the sun is shining!

I know it is only early January but my thoughts are turning towards Spring. Sunset is already 15 minutes later than in mid-December!

IMG_5383v2

 

 

As I look out the window, I can see the sun shining on the palm - Trachycarpus fortunei – which appears to have coped very well with the recent cold weather. I must remember, come the summer, that this palm actually appreciates regular watering and feeding.

 

 

IMG_5396v2

I also noticed that the daffodils are starting to poke their noses above ground. It’s a long way yet before flowering but, at least, it is a sign that we are heading in the right direction. . . . . . Spring!

The succulents such as Echeverias seem to have survived so far, covered by plastic cloches. I’m not sure how well the less-hardy stuff has survived in the ‘small, plastic, temporary greenhouse’ – some of the plants look on the dead side!  The fronds of the Tree Ferns have turned black and been broken by the weight of the snow, only time will tell if they have survived.

I’m not sure what 2011 will bring but I suspect that I might be made redundant or get early retirement due to government cut-backs. This could be good news and open up new possibilities / opportunities. I’m thinking of a major garden re-design including possibly growing vegetables (I was an allotment holder for many years during the time that growing veg was not fashionable).

The thoughts of Spring have also lead me to think of holidays! Today, I’ve emailed my friends at ‘The Arikanda River Garden Hotel’, Adrasan, Turkey,  to tentatively book a couple of rooms in April. I know it seems rather boring to keep going back to the same old place but I’m really looking forward to relaxing (probably with a beer) at the Arikanda amongst beautiful scenery, with a great bunch of people in hopefully warm weather. I can’t wait!

(If anyone wants more information on the Arikanda River Garden, Adrasan, then use the link in the right-hand column of this blog or I’m happy to answer any questions / supply more information. And no – I’m not on any commission!)

5 comments: