Tradescantia pallida 'Purpurea'

I am surprised to find that Tradescantia pallida 'Purpurea' has made it through last winter unaided.

I’ve always thought of this plant as a houseplant and, therefore, tender. I originally bought the plant as part of my experiments of growing so called ‘houseplants’ as summer bedding. It is planted in a bed that houses bananas, a palm and Colocasias and has survived for the last 3 years but I was certain last winter’s cold would kill it.

I noticed, at the weekend, that it had survived and below is a photograph of new shoots rising from the soil.

IMG_0295v2

I’ve since read that Tradescantia pallida 'Purpurea' is actually supposed to be quite hardy so I have learnt something! I also now know that it is sometimes referred to as Setcreasea pallida ‘Purpurea’. I also now know that the plain green leaved form is an invasive weed in Australia.

Anyway, the plant looks tropical and most unlikely to survive the UK climate, hence it goes well in a tropical planting of bananas and the like.

2 comments:

  1. Saw this plant used in The dordogne, France. It was planted alternately with a pretty pale pink petunia in a trough and looked stunning. Hope I can find somewhere I can buy a plant.

    ReplyDelete