Beschorneria yuccoides about to flower

It is with a certain amount of sadness that I have to announce that my Beschorneria yuccoides plant is about to flower.

IMG_0350v2

I’ve grown this plant for a number of years and I really, really like it. It looks a bit like a Yucca but despite its looks, it does not have sharp spikes on it hence it can be grown close to a path. I like its geometric shape and its blue/grey/green leaves.

The flower bud looks enormous and I’m surprised that there are another two buds developing.

IMG_0363v2

The flower spike should reach 6ft and, I’ve read, should be quite spectacular. I’ll probably (almost certainly) post a picture when it actually flowers.

IMG_0364v2

So, why am I so sad? Because, after flowering the main plant will die! OK, so there are now small baby plants around the base but it will take some time for these to grow and I will need to separate them – I think the plant looks best growing as a solitary specimen.

Its been a good plant and I will miss it.

Technorati Tags:

1 comment: