Autumn Leaves

 

The clocks have gone back, it is now dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home. I think that’s why I use garden spotlights, because otherwise I would never see the garden Monday to Friday. I have been quite depressed about the onset of Autumn and Winter – the loss of the light evenings and warmth. But . . . . .  now the clocks have changed and it is definitely Autumn / Winter, somehow I feel happier. I can accept the cold and dark, appreciate the misty, frosty days . . . . enjoy the colours of Autumn and the, soon to be, skeletons of trees. I’m also looking forward to the garden being largely clear of its summer lushness and being able to get more distant views. I think . . . . .  I might . . . . like Autumn / Winter!

Here’s a quote:

“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
Albert Camus

The lawn is now getting covered in leaves and the garden is looking very autumnal:

Fallen Leaves

The once tough-looking Hosta ‘Frances Williams’ is looking like a very old person – a bit wrinkled and wizened but very colourful and full of character:

End of the Summer for Hosta 'Frances Williams'

Hosta la Vista!

So . . . for some reason I feel very positive and I’m going to scuff my way through the fallen leaves to the pub tonight! . . . . It is KMS!

7 comments:

  1. Defiantly looking forwards to next spring, got big plans next year, its funny when we moved here August 2003 the garden was over grown and the grass areas were worn away buy the previous owners bored dogs walking in circles. We worked really hard to get it into some sort of shape and hand dug the pond.
    We come from a house with a really small garden and all I wanted was acres of grass, now I think the garden is too open. The front end we need a bigger patio after the extension eat what was there, then from the edge of the new patio we want to put in a curving path with an pergola following it to the decking. Remove all the grass either side and pack with various plants, creating two large boarders either side.
    Just sorting out some photos which I will add, or some links anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this this works, this is the day we moved in, will sort out some more and post.

    http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z43/keving99/Gardens/garden%20Aug03/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May 04

    http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z43/keving99/Gardens/garden%20may04/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kevin - Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been quite busy. Good to see the photos, what with them and your webcam, I'm getting to know your garden quite well. In fact, I'm thinking of getting a webcam although I like the privacy of the garden which is why the back-garden is looked after and the front garden is just a patch of weedy grass!
    I'm also looking forward to next Spring and I should really do some major changes to the garden. I dug the pond and put the paths and flower beds in 10 years ago when we moved in. I think it might be time to make some changes. Mind you, first I must arrange to get the drive repaved and the garage roof repaired, I've put that job off too long.
    Its been a mild week here and today has been sunny and quite warm. I've cut down the hops and tidied-up after my daughter and friends had a bonfire last night. I might post some pictures of that.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete