Tetrapanax papyrifera – May 2010

After a cold Winter and a very cold Spring I believe I have lost some of my more exotic plants. But I am pleased to see that my Tetrapanax papyrifera ‘Rex’ (Rice Paper Plant) has started to sprout from the remains of its old stem. I had wrapped some fleece around the stem but not before the first bout of very cold weather just before Christmas (my excuse is that I was away in France). The top of the stem was definately dead and I thought the plant had ‘had it’. But it is now sending out new growth from further down the stem as the photo below shows:

Tetrapanax papyrifera, 3 May 2010

Above: Tetrapanax papyrifera – new growth – 3 may 2010

This is one of my favorite plants and the giant leaves give a stunning effect. As I’ve said in one of my previous posts, I’ve not really planted it in the best position as it is too close to a path so I might try taking some cuttings from it this year.

By the way . . . . hasn’t it got a great name!

To access earlier posts on Tetrapanax papyrifera click on the name in the labels column on the right of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment