Kingfisher visits the pond

For some years a Kingfisher has occasionally been visiting the garden pond. I suppose it is attracted by the breeding herd of minnows that inhabit the pond. A few years ago the herd had become very large due to very successful breeding the previous Spring but was soon reduced by the attention of the Kingfisher. I watched from the kitchen window as it feasted on minnows! The minnow population needed reducing and I was happy that this was done to the benefit of this beautiful bird.

In September last year (2009) I saw the Kingfisher sitting on the post by the pond and tried to take some photos through the window, the result of this can be seen in the last photo below. When the bird flew away, I quickly set the camera on a tripod as close as possible to the post and attached a radio shutter release (only about £18 from eBay). The camera was not very disguised and I doubted the Kingfisher would return. But within 10 minutes of returning inside it appeared again and I was able to take a series of shots triggering the camera with the radio remote. The camera’s shutter makes quite a noise which the bird obviously noticed but must have decided offered no threat.

Kingfisher visiting my garden pond

Kingfisher visiting my garden pond

Kingfisher visiting my garden pond

Kingfisher visiting my garden pond

No comments:

Post a Comment