June 09 Catch Up

During this month I enjoyed the better weather and worked hard in the garden, my famous gardening shoes were put to good use.
IMG_0007

Tetrapanax papyrifera 'Rex'
The Tetrapanax gained many new and enormous leaves and I wish now that I had not planted it so close to a path. The underside of the leaves are coated with powdery brown down which easily transfers to the clothing of a passing gardener.
Tetrapanax papyrifera 'Rex'

Beschorneria yuccoides
In a previous post I said that the Beschorneria was about to flower and this it did in June. The flower stem was 10ft tall with numerous flowers attached:
Flowers of Beschorneria yuccoides 1
The flowers lasted right through summer and were quite spectacular. Of course, as mentioned previously, the plant will die after flowering but at the time of writing (March 10) there are many new offset plants to take its place. I will try to transplant some of these offsets as I enjoyed the plant grown as a single rosette rather than what I suspect will be a muddle of many plants.

Succulents
The wall bed of Echeverias, Agaves, Aloes etc was very successful throughout the year. I think I’ll experiment with growing more succulents and may even create an additional wall garden. It is quite remarkable how the Echeverias, Aloes etc seem to be able to survive grown outside. They seem able to withstand very hard frosts but don’t like being wet. A simple covering of glass or plastic is all that is required.
Agave

Campanula
I must admit I don’t know the precise name of the Campanula pictured below. Campanulas have the most complicated species names, many sounding the same.
Chair
Anyway, I’ve included this image mainly because it is one of my favorite corners of the garden. I think the flowers of the Campanula go well with the blue/grey of the hosta and both go well with the ferns and bamboo of this quite shady area. I also very much like the chair, though, of course, I seldom get time to sit in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment